Monday, July 13, 2009

There’s nothing childish about brands; except of course when you’re shopping for toys with an 8 month old, and then it’s all kids play for grown-ups. But please, pardon the play on words (opps,sorry... can’t help myself)

We, Sarah and me, being the parents, realised we were bad (I often hear people talking about ‘bad’ babies – but never about bad parents, so I’m wondering if one leads to the other, or visa versa?) by neglecting to maintain a routine of consistent toy buying as Lola progressed through her developmental stages (where each of these begin and end still has me stumped). By the time Lola had reached 7 months, all her toys were still soft, big eyed and developmental only to the extent that, at the point earth was invaded by soft, cuddly, big eyed aliens of limited stature, our child would be able to converse wit them - effortlessly!

Anyway – the real value of brands and great brand packaging struck me when, faced with what seemed liked no less than 1 million toys in the ‘0-12 month’ isle at Toyworld, I gravitated to boxes that ‘looked’ like they’d fit Lola’s demographic.

It was only after I’d walked out with a heavy bag and a wallet somewhat lighter for the experience, did I realise that it was in fact me, her designer jean wearing father with his limited edition Nike trainers, who'd fallen in love with the packaging and had the good sense to buy the toys.

So what can i say, Mr Tolo, Mrs Fisher & Mr Price , Mr Munchkin and others - great packaging does work -I'm living breathing proof, and I stand once again convinced that great brand packaging is critically important.

Lola’s Dad purchased sophisticated, well rounded developmental toys by companies who understood what design and intelligent brand packaging can do. It impact us, allows us to feel a certain way, and sometimes, when it connects with who we are, leads us to choose one product over another.

A case in point is my very own automotive engine (which l lurve). It just so happens to be wrapped up in a package we all call an Audi TT. So, just like her Dad, I supect our Lola will continue to play laugh and grow (up)

No comments: